Friday, December 23, 2016

NHL Goalie Talks about Surviving a Suicide Attempt and Becoming a Mental Health Advocate

Clint Malarchuk, otherwise known as the “Cowboy Goalie” is a retired NHL goalie who played for the Quebec Nordiques, the Washington Capitals, and the Buffalo Sabres between 1981 and 1992. On March 22, 1989, Clint survived a life-threatening injury during a NHL game when a Saint Louis Blues player's skate blade sliced his jugular vein. 

March 22, 1989
On October 7, 2008, Clint survived a suicide attempt after decades of living with PTSD, Obsessive compulsive disorder, addiction and depression. In 2014 he published a memoir, A Matter of Inches: How I Survivedin the Crease and Beyond.” Currently, he and his wife Joanie are relentless in their effort to help promote hope and healing to the millions of people living with mental health conditions and suicidal thoughts.

Clint encourages all Coloradoans to attend the Avalanche Hockey Team’s Mental Health Awareness night on January 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM. To purchase tickets ($5 of each ticket will benefit the Suicide Prevention Coalition of Colorado): http://suicidepreventioncolorado.org/event-2370111


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In Clint’s own words…
View PSA by Clint: https://youtu.be/Wa02uONnhRo

Every suicide attempt survivor I’ve meet is grateful that they are alive - me included.

Every time I hear of a death by suicide, I can’t help but cringe and think, “Had they survived and received help, they, like me and others might be healthy happy and productive.”

I have also meet people who are still suffering. I know how they feel. They say they wish they would just die. I have heard them say, “But I don't have the courage to do it.”

Some people think suicide is cowardly. So what was I? Cowardly or courageous? The answer is I was suffering with depression, obsessive compulsion disorder, anxiety, PTSD, with extreme paranoia. Simply, I was not healthy. I literally thought I was not in control of my mind. After my suicide attempt, I spent months in rehab and learned how to manage my mental health conditions. Today I am here living a full life and advocating for others to do the same.

In recent years we have had several suicides, suspected suicides and overdoses by former NHL players like Tom Cavanagh, Todd Ewen, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, and Derek Boogaard. It has been debated that concussions may attribute to depression and anxiety; however, many of these players where enforcers.

On average, someone attempts suicide every 40 seconds in the US. These are not cowardly or weak people they are in unimaginable pain. Their pain is as real as any physical ailment.

We need to help all people and prevent suicide.


You can help save a life! Please help by supporting suicide prevention. Join the Suicide Prevention Coalition of Colorado: http://suicidepreventioncolorado.org/join-us

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are here Clint. I am a Buffalo native and loved watching you protect our net in those days!! Watched the game you when you got cut. You are a survivor for a reason, this is THE reason! Thank you for the years of fun in Buffalo and for your dedication ti this cause!

    ReplyDelete